How to complain to Sky
The fine art of the complaint has a proud history dating back to when the Eve said to Adam “Why do you have to be such a killjoy?” Since then the complaint has fanned out across successive cultures until, today, we have entire corporate departments tasked with nothing more than handling people’s complaints. These complaint departments, however, are not cheap to maintain and so many smart companies like Sky have figured out a way around them: provide a better product or service.
Sky: From TV Channel to Media Conglomerate
In recent years Sky have grown from the humble provider of first and second run films they started out as back in 1989, to become a faceless telecoms giant bested only by the UK’s official media behemoth, BT. Sky’s TV channels include:
- Sky Movies
- Sky News
- Sky Sports
- Sky Sports News HQ
- Sky 1
- Sky 2
- Sky 3D
- Sky Living
- Sky Arts
- Real Lives
- Sky Betting and Gaming
- History Channel
- At the Races
- Crime and Investigation
- Nick Jr.
- Comedy Central
- Sky News Business Channel
And that’s not to mention the numerous international subsidiaries that nestle securely under the Sky umbrella including Sky Ireland, Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland.
Getting Your Sky Complaints Heard
The fact that Sky is such an enormous enterprise today with many millions of customers means that getting someone at Sky to actually hear your complaint is not like catching the green grocer’s ear about the stringy broccoli. Every day countless people right across the UK sign up for services, cancel services, upgrade, downgrade, redeem promotions and call with questions. So how does one get through? Here are some tried and true ways.
- Call the Complaint Department – Easier said than done typically, but with the number we provide you have a better than normal chance of getting through in an expeditious fashion and keeping your call to a manageable length. The sky complaints telephone number is XXXXXXXXXX. This number is typically in service between 6am and midnight 365 days a year, although Sky reserves the right to change that without notice.
- Email – If the situation is not of an urgent nature you can send an email and you’ll likely get a response in about 5 business days.
- For general Sky customer complaints write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have a comment or complaint about a particular programme Sky has broadcast on one of its channels write to: viewerR@bskyb.com
- Live Chat – While there’s no actual chatting going on in a live chat, you will nonetheless be engaging in a real time text-based back and forth with a real human at Sky. This puts the live chat somewhere between email and phone conversation as far as “getting through” is concerned. Sky’s live chat facility is open between 7am and 11pm every day.
Make a complaint to Sky
Cancelling Your Service
If you call Sky to cancel your service you’ll need to have all of your account details at the ready. The sales adviser will need this information for a variety of reasons:
- To ensure you do not get billed for the services you cancel.
- To ensure your subscription is not being cancelled by someone else in error.
- To prevent any interruptions in service if you are moving from one address to another.
- To protect yourself should any disputes arise over the cancellation process.
Complaints About Sky Talk
If you wish to register a complaint regarding Sky’s Sky Talk telephone services you can do so by calling the PhonepayPlus helpline on 0300 30 300 20. PhonepayPlus is an independent regulatory authority that mediates disputes regarding premium rate services like Sky Talk. This helpline is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. If you would prefer you can also contact PhonepayPlus about your Sky complaints using the contact form on their website, which can be found at phonepayplus.org.
Complaints about Sky TV Services
If you have Sky TV complaints or questions or you need a service technician to rectify a technical issue with your hardware, call 03442 414 141. Sky would prefer that you only use this number if you need to file a complaint and not simply to have a chat about service options. If you’d like to do that or order new services, call their sales team on 0800 151 2747 instead.
Complaints About Sky Broadband
Sky Broadband complaints can take many forms from a poor Wi-Fi connection to service dropping out unannounced and more. If you find yourself in need of contacting Sky to discuss an issue with your broadband the Sky complaints number is 03442 414 141. Keep in mind that Sky monitors and often records most of the conversations that occur through this and their other customer service numbers.
Complain the Old Fashioned Way
In the past, people who felt aggrieved by a company’s service would make a cup of tea, sit down at the kitchen table with their finest stationery and compose a letter full of righteous indignation. Today, most people lack the time or inclination to do so. However, there are some still out there that prefer the more elegant approach of writing over holding the line while being force fed elevator ‘music’. For those people, written Sky customer complaints can be addressed as follows.
Sky Subscriber Services Ltd
PO Box 43
So you’ve worked your way patiently through weeks of phone calls, emails, claims, counterclaims and ‘speaking to the manager’ and yet still your Sky TV complaints linger there, unresolved like a season ending cliff-hanger on your favourite programme. What to do? If all else fails, there’s the ombudsman service. The ombudsman is an impartial third party intermediary who will arbitrate the dispute and try to find an amicable resolution. But beware; the process can take considerable time and there’s still a chance the ombudsman may rule against you. If you wish to use the ombudsman call them on 0330 440 1614 or email them at email@example.com.